31.1.18

What I cooked in January...

One of the things that I have challenged myself to this year is cooking.  Of course I can cook.  Well actually I am more of a cook to survive type of cook.  I cook very basic stuff (enough so that we don't die) and I definitely must follow a  recipe.  Cooking has never really been something that I am very good at or very interested in actually.  I find the whole thing to be quite boring.  Actually, boring is the wrong word.  I am just not that into it, I can always think of a hundred things I would rather be doing than cooking.  Plus my family are quite fussy and it's very hard to come up with something that everyone likes.

However, I have decided to get a better attitude (this is a tough one but I am trying) and try and cook more.  But not just my usual stuff, I want to branch out and try different things (and by different I mean different to me, remember plain, boring cook here).  I am also not going to worry too much about whether everyone will like it or not.

So here we go!  This is what I cooked in January...

Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
Recipe from Damn Delicious
Photo from Damn Delicious


I found this originally on Pinterest, posted it to my board "Tasty Treats to Try" but sat on it for a couple of weeks.  But I finally decided to take the plunge and have a go.  I read quite a few of the comments regarding this recipe and the general consensus was that it needed to be cooked for longer than thirty minutes.  With this in mind I put it all together, cut my potatoes quite small and cooked it for just over one hour.
Very tasty, very tasty indeed.
Score (from my husband) 7/10
Three out of four of us liked it
Will try it again, but with chicken breasts as my family don't really like eating things off the bone.

SPINACH CHEESE PUFFS
Recipe from Lil Luna
Photo from Lil Luna


It was Saturday and no one could be bothered cooking.  Usually these types of nights mean that we go through the freezer and pull out anything that can be chucked in the oven.  Tonight was no different.  We had some party pies/sausage rolls and some crumbed chicken pieces but for some reason I felt like trying something different.  I went through my trusty Pinterest board, came across these and gave them a go.  
These were quite tasty but needed to cook for longer than suggested.  Next time I will cut the puff pastry pieces bigger and use a little less feta cheese (taste was quite strong)
Score (from husband) 7/10
Three out of four of us tried them and three out of three of us liked it.
Will definitely try this again making a few adjustments as mentioned above.

BIANCA'S FAMOUS EASY BACON AND VEGETABLE SLICE.
Recipe from Yum
Photo from Yum


As soon as I came across this recipe I knew I had to try it.  It was simple, easy to put together and tasted super delicious.  It got a thumbs up all round (except my son but then he doesn't like anything except spaghetti bolognese and I have explained that we cannot eat that every night).
Score (from husband) 8/10  woohoo!
All four of us ate it, but as usual one didn't like it (but ate it) the rest of us loved it.
Will definitely be making this one again.

Super happy with myself that I stepped up and cooked some different things this month.  I was also happy that I did three new recipes.  

So there you have it...what I cooked in January.  Lets see if I can do it again in February!

Love me :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.